vendredi 16 avril 2010

The unravelled loose ends...


So how is it that everything all came together at once? Honestly, it'd be impossible to explain just how it happened (sheer luck, perhaps?) but if there is ONE single thing that I have learned from my experience abroad it is that you NEVER know what's coming - no matter how well, (or how poorly!) you plan and prepare yourself; you simply ought to be alert and quick on your feet to react to whatever it is that comes your way!

For instance, just before the final move from Germany to Normandie, France (to stay with my cousin until I could find something of my own) I had my first BIG interview in Strasbourg with the Catholic Diocese. (That's right...the Catholic church! hahaha, how ironic, considering my non-religious background!) Yet, thanks to a wise French philosophy professor of mine from Boston College, I knew that I'd have greater chances of getting into the teaching-networks of France if I were to go through through private affiliations, like the Diocese. They were the FIRST contact I e-mailed, even before leaving to Germany, and they were the LAST to get back to me, mid-summer.

The interview was super-duper stressful, as it was early in the morning, on a super hot & muggy summer's day...I had straightened my hair, dressed-up to a T (thanks to "C"'s help, whose knowledge of fashion was FAR superior to my own) and applied very minimal make-up and jewelry (since I had read prior to the interview that it is customary for French women to wear very little of both in the work-world, let alone French women in the Catholic Diocese!) In a great rush, I was forced to take the train from Germany to Kehl, since I had missed the connection direct to Strasbourg (that is...silly me...I almost forgot my keys at "C"'s apartment, and was forced to back-track a bit, losing the "extra" time I had set aside in case of emergency). Good thing I always plan for transport-emergencies, since from Kehl to Strasbourg, I had to BIKE like a MAD-WOMAN in order to be prompt for the interview...

And ya' know what happened next? It started to rain! I was forced to bike even faster, praying that I could navigate the way without getting lost (after all, it is not so easy to navigate across the border when the RHINE separates the 2 countries), Nonetheless, that I was able to successfully manage, despite the long distance I covered in doing so! Consequentially, my "straightened hair" looked like a complete mess, my (luckily minimal) make-up was smeared, and I was a sweaty disgusting mess by 9am...

However, thanks to the fact that I had been in great shape from all the summer biking I had done, I managed to do the 10kilomaters in less than 30mins time, and I arrived early enough to fix myself up...at least outwardly! Inside, I was trembling...and, when I realized WHERE my interview was actually being held, my trembles turned into shivers: The interview was held in the same building as the Strasbourg Cathedrale!!!!!!! Mind you...this BEAUTIFUL establishment is the most monsterous, towering Cathedrale in all of France...and the mere idea of being "interviewed" within its walls really freaked me out!

My nervousness was definitely apparent to my 2 interviewers, especially since my excitement and nervousness affected my ability to speak in French...but, I was in luck: my interviewers were patient with me. I tried to FOCUS on being polite, to keep good posture, and to appear FULL of CONFIDENCE. (This was EXTREMELY difficult considering the circumstances...but I guess I pulled it off?)

The interview lasted about 1 hour, which was only a preliminary meet-and-greet. It was not YET apparent that there would be any job openings...

Such unclarity made me think they weren't interested in me, but 1 week later, right before giving up (literally 1 day before I was scheduled to leave to Normandie) they asked me back for a 2nd interview.

The second interview took ALL DAY on the other hand, and though I was a little less intimidated the second time around, my head was SPINNING over all the details, and all the questions that had been put on the table.

Although I had applied to teach ENGLISH in a Catholic school, the post they had found for me had NOTHING to DO with English!!! And, at the time (a high-pressure 2nd interview, just weeks before summer's end) I had become So DAMN desperate for a job, that I forced myself to put on that I could do it: I could teach "religious culture." (Sure...I mean...I studied philosophy...I had full-scholarship at Boston College to study a Catholic philosopher - Bernard Lonergan - and I taught critical thinking and ethics before that...so although I knew very little....VERY VERY little about religion and culture - aside from Nietzsche, Plato and Dawkins' criticisms - I thought I could learn along the way, and manage!)

With very few details about the job itself, I was dragged to a school for a 3rd interview that same very day, where there was a job opening. I met my future boss in his gigantic, beautifully-adorned office, and I was given a historical overview of the institution itself, along with a tour. (It is the OLDEST school, and the most prestigious in Alsace) since the Protestant Reform. Following directly after the tour, I was asked a couple of questions, looking at one another directly in the eyes, when suddenly (and unexpectedly)...

Monsieur P (this is how I will refer to the school principal) announced: "WELCOME TO THE CLUB!" while shaking my hand with a certain forceful grip...this was almost the LAST thing I expected this man to say...

Walking out of the school door, it occurred to me that I had been granted the job. HOLY SHIT. Time to get a move on!

But, not so fast - the first batch of interviewers led me back to the Cathedrale, where I was filled-in on a couple more details. Before leaving to Normandie, I would have to take with me some preparatory material. Yet, they made it clear that they themselves had NONE of the material on hand; I would have to contact, and track down the woman I was to replace in order to pick up HER materials...all in the same day.

This woman, (Mme. S) was a Saint for driving down to Strasbourg to pass along all the reading material/books, pamphlets, notes, binders...so that I could prepare for the job while I was in Normandie. She assured me that she would be in contact by late-August, just before school's start to explain "what to do with it all."

Leaving Mme. S with a HEAVY duffle-bag full of religious materials, the first thing I did was call my cousin to let him know that I would be coming to Normandie one day later than expected (tomorrow instead of that same very day, since the interview ran into the evening hours) and then I called "C" to let him know that I'd be coming back to pick up all of my things...

He was very kind to open up a bottle of champagne to celebrate the good news, despite our "broken" status. I cried from relief, ate some Kebab, (followed by the most delicious ice cream) and slugged back a couple glasses of champagne before hitting the sack.

By the next morning, however, at 5am I had to MOVE OUT...with all of my things, including the dufflebag-full of books.

KEY WORDS: Strasbourg, Interviewing in France, Working in France, Living in France, Living abroad, American in France

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire