mardi 20 avril 2010

Hiking & Skiing - the Lovely ALPS!
















My Mom had always ranted and raved about her months spent bicycling across Europe - way back when she was 18 years old. Based upon her select few photographs and horrifyingly-thrilling adventure stories, I had always envisioned the French and Swiss Alps to be cold, mysterious, and unwelcoming, yet something within me drew my feet towards them, always feeling curious and urged to go see them for myself; back in August of 2009 I was lucky enough to do just that.

As I've said before in other blog postings- one must learn to expect the unexpected (both the bad AND the good.) For instance, though I had always DREAMED of making my way over to the Alps, I had no idea that I'd be granted the opportunity to spend the weekend hiking the Swiss Alps with a group of 8 Freiburgers this past August...

A weekend hike had already been organized by a group of adults to which "C" had introduced me. Thanks to their kindness and hospitality, I was welcomed to join them in Ticino, Switzerland, having been so near already (I was at the right place at the right time, I suppose!) For one full day's hike, we covered the gorges and the valleys of the Alps in Ticino, not too far from Lac Lugo Maggiore. The most crystal-clean, bright blue waters rushed by underfoot. To our left or right there were the most striking aspects of the mountain tops, glistening in the sun. I had never seen such BLUE waters, or clear skies, even way up north towards Canada.

Apart from this, the weekend was just perfect for hiking...it was sunny, warm, but not unbearably hot; the shady cavernous passageways provided plenty of shade when needed, while the majestic waterfalls and rippling creeks provided ample drinking water. The abandoned mountain-villages created a mysterious and intriguing ambiance, inciting us to continue.

Yet once night began to fall behind the tallest mountain passes, we called quits and took some shelter for the night (luckily just before it began to rain, all too suddenly!) at "La Fosanella" - which was a terriffic and highly recommended (and affordable) hotel/restaurant.

The second day's hike was a bit more difficult, but equally beautiful, if not moreso. To begin with, we took the gondola up a ways early in the morning, to "Alpe Foppa" at Monte Tamaro. After gulping down some water and snapping some photos, we split up into smaller groups and hiked our way up to the peak (1928meters). Upon reaching the peak, a rocky, but accessible point, we connected to a ridge-pass, overlooking the beautiful panorama of the Swiss Alps on one side, the Italian Alps on the other (with a view of the French Alps/Mont Blanc off in the distance.) After roughly 7 1/2 hours of hiking that ridge, we finally arrived at Monte Lema (Malcantone), where we took another gondola back down the mountain, which lucky included a bus-ride back to the original gondola station as well!

Over some 15 hours of hiking in those 2 days, I didn't do too much talking or listening. (In fact, the group with whom I was hiking spoke in German the whole time, which I didn't even try to comprehend!) Instead, I took in the fresh air...the beauty in every step, and in every photo-op...as well as the time to reflect upon my trip to Europe. How lucky I was to be here, right then and there, I thought!

Of course, part of me craved for REAL company as I looked upon these gorgeous sights in silence. This shouldn't have surprised me though; after all, not only a social-character and hopeless-romantic, but I suppose that whenever someone sees or experiences such beautiful things, he or she is likely to feel a sudden rush of loneliness. Some people have named this a "desiring for the Divine in nature," but I called it homesickness. For the first time, I really missed having my friends around to enjoy the adventure - to appreciate the view. Had I been laughing uncontrollably, or passionately making-out up on that mountain, I would have felt less "lonely..." but then again...would I have SEEN as much? I suppose not.

Not much later afterwards though - in February 2010 (luckily hitting upon my 25th birthday) I had a second view of the Alps, and just like the first time around, I had found myself in the right place at the time...

That is, since the private school where I work often puts on week-long "enrichment" trips with students (at one place or another, for one subject of study or another) adult company is a hot commodity. Fortunately for me, most of my collegues were married and were too busy with their children, rendering them "unavailable" to go on this one particular trip to supervise the 9th graders. Subsequently, I had been asked to serve as a supervisor/support for the February skiing trip at La Plagne ski-station, in South-East France...and not only was this a free trip...but it was PAID !!! HAHA!!! Too good to be true!!! A great birthday surprise after all...

And this time the view of the Alps was quite different! The snow-covered mountain-peaks and pointy pines were hardly recognizable from the previous August...the smoothed-over, white-capped ski trails shone with brilliance under the sun...and I imagined myself to be gliding over huge snow-cones...

Down at one ski-lodge not so far away from where we were staying, there was an outdoor-heated-pool which I was determined to test out. All my collegues laughed at me, saying it was "SO AMERICAN" of me to have come prepared with a bathingsuit, to which I said "hells yeah! you bet your ass I'm gettin' in that pool!" And that's what I did. Peace...relaxation...overlooking gorgeous views...surely a wonderful birthday surprise.

The 9th graders weren't too much of a hassle in the end, either. In fact, I didn't have to supervise them all that much since they were forced to take ski/snowboaring classes from 9 to 5 each day. This meant that I was free to ski, or to do whatever I wanted, with a couple of exceptions. For one, I had to be "on call" (in case of emergency/sickness) each and every afternoon. Secondly, I had to be on 2-hours of lunch-supervision during the afternoon, and later, at 10pm, I had to ensure that the kiddies were getting into bed (which was pretty awkward for me for I already hated playing "policewoman/cop-lady" in class with the kids, let alone disciplining them in the Alps while they were are all dressed in their jammies!)

The highlight of "lunch and dinner supervision" was that I was able to sit down and eat gourmet cafeteria-food amongst the professors rather than WITH the students...which means there was very little "supervision" (from our separate "professor table." lol) Twice, we professors were treated by the ski station to a lovely dinner and dessert, and the professors had organized some terrific wine-tasting and distribution (which unfortunately, I had no part in buying or sharing since I had no idea this was acceptable on a "school trip.") The "raquette" du fromage was my favorite (you melt little triangular cutlets of cheese & place them onto peeled & boiled potatos along with a selection of fine charcuterie & cold-cuts...numnum, real "meat & potatos" style. Yet, aside from the prepared dinners, the cafeteria was pretty well-stalked (with the exception of their boisson/drink selection....yuuk). I made myself a salad each meal, for which I was again ridiculed for being "SO AMERICAN" having mixed my greens with cheese, and fruit and nuts...I told them they didn't know what they were missing out on & assured them it's not so "very" AMERICAN either.

But frankly - it was all worth it! Thank goodness for the French esteem (and private educational institution) to foster and nourish "culturally-enriched" students and teachers...such trips really allow for growth beyond the classroom.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire