jeudi 15 avril 2010

Insane Multitasking




One would think that the mundane task of searching and applying for jobs is the same everywhere...but lucky as I am, I think I found an exception to the rule: FRANCE.

1) Networking isn't so easy when you're in a foreign country....but I think I had exceptional difficulty in France. For instance, I learned very quickly that French associations (and even organizations with Americans in Alsace) were unwilling to accept me as a newcomer as long as I could not provide proof of my residence IN FRANCE. So much for finding safe networks! Even after explaining my needs, and my situation (as well as my very convenient location just next door in a neighboring EU nation) I gained not one helping hand...no networks. Facebook didn't help much either, nor all of my desperate google searches...

2) Emailing habits seem to be far less developed (i.e, SLOWER/more relaxed) in France than in the States. After inquiring about one job or another, I would often wait (minimally) 2 weeks before hearing ANY kind of response, (mind you: I inquired into over 100 jobs in less than 1 month's time.)

3) After refining several different versions of my CV in French (highlighting different aspects of my past work-experience/academic background) I spent very long hours hand-writing my cover-letters in French on fancy white paper, for one job after another. Paperclipped and stuffed into pretty envelopes, my documents were to be attached to photo-identification. (You see: hand-writing/penmanship and physical analysis is just one "criterion" for eliminating the (extremely) competitive edge between potential employees...) This was rather shocking to me, but was even more daunting and monotonous...

4) Interviews are scary when they're bilingual...and one OUGHT to be well-prepared to answer questions back to back, in French and then in English. I failed one interview quite horribly....and was told that I was not "classy enough" to work. Retrospectively, I have to laugh about THAT comment, considering the source! haha.

5) Although online banking is straight-forward, and undeniably useful, it doesn't work as well as having a European account on hand when in Europe. Living off of my debit card, (only to be followed 2 months later by my credit card when my funds ran to $1.46) was quite the pain, to say in the least...but you see: you cannot OPEN an account until you are a full-time RESIDENT in FRANCE! Ahhh!

6) So, (obviously) the pressure was ON to find lodging! Luckily, my cousin's wife was able to give me some pointers (naming some popular free online ad. listings...if interested, I will jot them down at some later stage). BUT quite UNLUCKILY the search proved to be very LONG and painfullyyyyyy complicated: First of all, since I no longer carried the status of a "student" I could not apply for most discounted (guarenteed) housing, and was thus rejected for a great deal of "co-habitational" (roomie) deals. Secondly, in France, if you're not a student; you're to be considered one of 2 things (unless you're eligible for retirement!) a) a worker, or b) someone on employment. HOWEVER, if you don't have a job, you're not a worker...and if you don't have social security, then you are not eligible for unemployment. BOOM....new key-term: "social-security, what?" After waiting HOURSSSSSS in line at the social-security office in unconditioned (PACKED) conditions, I insisted the following, stumbling over my French with fear and anxiety on my breath: "I'm a citizen! I should have a social security number stored on file...right...??????" - WRONG! What a disaster....the social security office informed me that I couldn't even apply for a card (which takes minimally 3 months thereafter to be created) until I could prove that I had received 3 month's working pay (in France), even IF most jobs won't even HIRE you if you don't have a SS card...whatever my explanation was (and despite its logic) they didn't give a good god damn about my situation, simplying ringing the bell to call "NEXT!" So much for A FRIENDLY SERVICE-CULTURE!!!!

So here's the breakdown of these complications I had to figure out:
1) No social security card = no job & no health insurance
1) No job = no apartment
2) No apartment = no banks or association-membership status
3) No apartment = VERY DIFFICULT TO APPLY FOR JOBS...
4) No job (and proof of 3 month's pay)= no social security card (& NO HEALTH INSURANCE)
5) No social security card = IMPOSSIBLE TO DO ANYTHING!

My only solution was to find a brave soul to take me in, on the grounds that I WOULD promise to pay rent (under a private contractual dealing)...which was a very risky thing to do without FULL ASSURANCE that I had a job in the first place, but it was the ONLY thing I could do to solve the puzzle...and...well, due to several breakages...I had very little assurance about anything, so "what the hell?" I took the leap...but I'll get to the breakages next!!!

KEY WORDS: Working in France, Living in France, Living abroad, American in France, French administration, Applying for jobs in France, Job-searching in France

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire