jeudi 15 avril 2010

The MOVE


I wanted to be sure to be situated in Europe before the "big summer vacation" ensued (which in France runs from mid-July to the very end of August) so that I could arrange some interviews and get settled before Autumn's coming. This would give me a 2-month window-opportunity with which I could work before running out of financial resources and before losing any shot of landing a job.After all, even with Au Pair positions, one is expected to begin working no later than late-August, not to mention any teaching work...and since I had already missed the hiring phase for the restaurant business...timing would be KEY.)

Having said my goodbyes to family members, and as many friends as possible, I was off - with 2 large suitcases under 40lbs a piece on a one-way jet plane to Frankfurt Germany.

The first travelling experience I had was less than ideal; on the airplane ride from Boston to Germany, I felt nauseous for 5 straight hours before throwing up rotten-clams into the tiny paper-bags provided to me on the flight - climactically just before LANDING. I had eaten bad clams at some airport-hub before my departure, which I will forever remember and avoid! Nevertheless, I was feeling pretty good about the move itself...I was excited, and only a LITTLE bit nervous.

A posteriori, I can say that I was just clueless :-) hehe....

The only thing I had decided - for sure- was that I wanted to be situated in France somewhere NEAR "C" the man and romance of my life. Consequently, I had chosen Strasbourg as the most ideal job-hunting destination, which was only 1.5hours via train to his house...but, I knew very well that everything would REALLY depend on the job-situation & that I would not be able to relocate until I had some leads...

Choosing a relatively happening city was a strategic plan, of course, and since Strasbourg was not only close in proximity to the German border, I knew it was/(is) an international city, thanks to the Council of Europe/the Parliament/the European Union, and the rich history it's faced.

Given all of this, I was pretty confident to find something suitable for a young, motivated (hard-working) American like myself :-) EVEN if I resorted to waitressing for the year, as I had done for the 8 years prior...anything to gain my 'experience in FRANCE!'

As soon as I visited Strasbourg, I realized how many outstanding "plus's" it had to offer in addition to the obvious. This caused the excitement to GROW...along with hope, anticipation, and TONS of anxiety....
Quick list of those plusses:
1) The University of Strasbourg would allow me to check out the University programs in France very easily, and perhaps I could take some language-courses to improve my written and speaking abilities...plus, there'd be lots of students my age with whom I could practice my French/explore the area...
2) Its "city" like nature would allow for all sorts of engaging cultural activites (museums, concerts, large outdoor markets), and thus would allow me (more easily than off in the countryside) to jump-start a social-life, dancing, restaurant and cafe-hopping...)
3) Its convenient location between 2 mountain ranges would be perfect for weekend hiking, and its BEAUTIFUL floral decor (everywhere) and romantic quai's would be IDEAL for walking and biking around....

So, I bought a "plan de ville" (a very helpful tool), a bicycle (a NECESSARY item, especially in Strasbourg which is a biking city -what a SCORE!) and a book entitled "Living, Studying and Working in France: Everything You Need to Know to Fulfill Your Dreams of Living Abroad" (A highly recommended practical resource), all in order to help my adjustment-period, and to allign my "plan of attack."

Along with these few minimalist items, I packed spring/summer clothes, books, good walking and running shoes, as well as my most prized-possession: my camera! I was SOOOOOooooo enthusiastic about snapping photos throughout Europe, I hardly could wait...

Of course, the lap-top (a teeny-tiny notebook version) was a must-have for the job-search, and for communicating...and for all the other "possessions" I figured I would collect on my way back to the States, come late October (during school-break, after making some money). The number one thing I was looking forward to picking up was of course, my dog (the biggest love of my life, with whom I could HARDLY bare to separate), but I knew I'd come to NEED certain materials, come fall and winter, including boots, warm clothes...but what so little did I know.........................

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire