mercredi 14 juillet 2010

Poems and poetry

As I mentioned in a different blog post about having "artistic aspirations," I've come across a couple compiled poems during my year in France & thought I'd share, at least to remember them...
--------------------------------------

Another Waiting Period
At the train station where all the strangers wait
There is nothing "strange" about waiting - being early, being late.

Whether it's fear, excitement, or monotony that paints your face
We're all of the same kind here - participants in the same race.

Bob your head to music, rock the cradle or pacing to and fro,
Stuff your mouth with candy bars, baguettes - no one here you know.

Temptation calls on others for a cigarette - or another glass of wine.
Others remain behind newpapers, appearing to be "just fine."

With loads of work to attend to, or indeed, without a job,
No matter we're where off to, here; we're part of the mob.

And then it's not to shameful just to wait, and sit -
Since we're ALL just waiting, waiting...waiting so let's admit...
We're waiting to go, or waiting for others to come
And no matter where we're going - and no matter where we're from...
We're waiting...for..................the train?
-----------------------------------------------------
2 Young Lovers For Harry and Hermine:
Zeus hath no mercy,
So expect none for thee!
You've taken the poison -
You've chosen impeity.
Rejoice in her sweetness,
Your new ruler's thrown...
Whatever may come of love
Reasoning is unbeknown...
But soldier be brave and,
Do not drop your sword!
Fight well from the other side
Against the ancient Lord...
--------------------------------------------
Hunter of the Love and Life's Charm
Oui c'est possible que je chasse l'amour,
Avec un style, un rhythm d'un tambour:
Comme la pluie qui va 'tic tac' sur la trottoir
Comme les strums de ta main sur la guitarre...
Pure d'esprit, si blanche, de même que la neige,
Ma passion s'écoule sans toit, sans protège;
Quand toute est mouillée, la glace devient glissée,
Je cours, je tombe j'essaie à me capturer...
Mais sur terre, je me souviens la même chute:
L'amour sans fin, est toujours mon vrai but...
-----------------------------------------
Memories Traced
Lots of memories have passed and not one has gone without its trace,
For a moment in time has its name, its history, as well as a face...
Walking down memory lane is certainly a strange place to be,
Feeling nostalgic, and sweet, yet simultaneously uneasy...
It's like leaving a movie screening alone, with poofy eyes and all,
Exiting the back doors, while clinging to the dirty back-halls.
The great performance is over, the screen-acting is all done,
MY "real" life continues, but suddenly, it seems like less fun...?
The grand entrance closed off - the sign points the other way out:
The stairwell winds downward, in dimmed light, the crowd shuffles about...
Not knowing where I'm going, to where these twisted paths may lead -
The movie showing was touching, my thoughts instead linger on what precedes...
Until I notice what's familiar; catching a glimpse about this strange route...
Though the falsity on screen was great, the truth of what is, I cannot do without.
Visions, images, and adventures in these performances to see,
But there's nothing like the moment when compared to memories.
-------------------------------------------
For Danielle, My Big Sister!

Sister, I love how you walk to the beat of your own drum!

I admire the way you let the wind mess up your hair,
Your cigarette lit in hand, blowing smoke into thin air...

You halt up your skit a little bit higher, you always go bare-foot,
Ignoring the ready-made pathways, but always curious to observe and look.

Making your own way through the earthy mud and tall grass,
You believe no one takes notice, you worry about growing up too fast.

But you're wrong, Danielle; if you think that I don't see you, or appreciate all that you do: For even when you're too busy pretending to be vulgar and bold to notice in the 1st place this UNFORGETTABLE truth:

I'm so glad that we're sisters and I love who you are;
You're weird, you're funny and sometimes bitchy TOO!
But you've been there for me; in our lives we've come so far
Therefore I think you need remind yourself that I do really love YOU.

-------------------------------------------
When you Do Get What You Want

When we get what we want, do we want what we got then?

> Craving to fill the emptiness
> Ravenous with desire
> Striving for inspiration
> Driving to be admired (?)
>
> Risk. Sacrifice. Be bold. Be brave.
> Be fearless, and seemless
> As you race towards decay...
>
> Thinking always, what it should be ,
> And what you EXPECT
> What you had promised,
> And all that you bet.
>
> Inspiration, motivation:
> The critical ears that judge...
> No "thing" can stop you...
> There's no "ONE" to begrudge...
>
> Except you, and only you -
> Rightful owner of DESIRE.
>
> Where "D" was for desire then,
> DISAPPOINTMENT set in...
> Although the desire was pure,
> The seems were sewn too thin!
>
> And now those desires get thrown into some limitless
> pit...
> Unchecked, unquestioned, due to TOO MUCH wanting, TOO
> MUCH wit.
>
> Never had desire and wit gone hand in hand.
>
> When the desire comes freely, UNEXPECTEDLY, it flows
> No wanting, or wishing, and no motivations, I suppose....
---------------------------------------------
You DO go with the FLOW...!!!

Palm to palm and tip to tip
Shoulders down-angled
Firm center, hoisted hip

Cutting and sliding,
through the waters you ride
along with the flow,
along with the tide...

You move with such grace
like a fish do you swim.
Your agility, your strength,
has allowed you to win...

Against the rough waters,
the high waves and undertoe,
toppled and tossed,
onward you go!

Such confidence and curiosity
A real drive to press on,
But not like the "workers"
Or like some "auto-matoman..."

And sometimes without time
to take a gulp of fresh air,
you navigate and meditate,
not always knowing where...

"To where are you going?"
All the others might ask.
"You've gone off course!"
You've swum too fast!

"Were you lost in the waves
Or did you care not to look?
Perhaps you were frightened,
Or were you evading the hook?"

"Didn't you notice...
the others were behind...
Your duty was in front...
Wasn't that in mind?!"

From my perspective though,
These questions don't apply...
For your nature - to keep swimming,
Is much truer to abide by...

But still... just please don't you forget...
you're NOT a fish, Jason
You're a human - just yet!

You have arms and legs,
And joints that bend.
No fins, no gills,
and no armour to defend -

Against the biggest predators:
Fatigue and dismay -
Wondering what has happened,
or if to carry on the next day...?

While swimming seems tough now,
Remember where you've been!
Think of the waters you've swam
and what you can STILL offer your kin...

After all, perhaps your relative ease before
Was not merely thanks to your form,
Perhaps it was not your education,
nor your parents gifts' upon being born...

Those "tricks" up your sleeve
which you thought you'd pass on:
to your friends, and your children...
All seem lost, unworthy, long gone...

But really, what has it been
that has always kept you afloat
How have you resisted the easier way;
hopping on the next passing boat...?

Could it be your passion...
or your willingness to get wet...
A loyalty to your nature...
No lies, no regrets...?

If this is true...then you have much more to pass on
to your friends and to your loved ones,
Who keep looking, and wondering where you've gone...
----------------------------------------
For Christoph:

Can we see what we want to see?
Can we write what we want to say?

Do we see things as they really are,
Do we write what is really meant...

I fear more truthfully, that our perception is bent.

Reality-divided, parted into three
You, you, you...and then me?

Woman, trickster, dancer that is masked
Can you give me answer if and when you're asked?

Gentleman caller, with your elaborate displays
Can we share something great, without being led to DISMAY?
----------------------------------------
Early Fears of Deception
Woman, Man trickster: you are masked!
Will you give me straight answers if you are asked?
Or am I just a play-thing, a mere park ball...?
You toss me up, you leave me out, despite the rain that falls?

An object of curiosity, and object of desire...
When I don't know what you are thinking,
The world is but a mire!!

So may I dance with you, and also become LOST?
In a world that is divided, your life that is tossed...

Between our many dances, amongst your different masks
I don't like these games but it is you that my current life lacks.
----------------------------------------
AN OLD poem...with familiar sentiments (year 1999)

"Off to Somewhere with Someone."

I don't know where I'm goin'
I don't know who I am.
One thing I do know is:
I want you as my man.

Please do me good.
Please treat me right.
Know that I love you.
And please hold me tight.
I need some lovin' now
And I know, so do you.
Simply repeat after me:
Whisper you love me too.

The two of us then,
We'll go somewhere
We'll learn about our lives.
If not tomorrow we leave,
We can leave tonight.

I want to escape my roots
And to start our new lives today:
To do the things we want to DO,
Rather than what we SAY.

To put our pasts behind us,
And dream a little dream...
We'll MAKE something out of life
Rather than what it sometimes SEEMS.

Pack your bags if you're ready,
This may be a long ride,
But if we cannot find the road,
We'll follow the ocean tides...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire